Monday 12 March 2007

autumn is here


Well it's finally getting chilly in the mornings here. I've just blitzed the garden of all the new weeds and spent growth after the huge amount of rainfall over the last few weeks. (200ml +!) Didn't do my extension of the tomatoe glut any good because it meant the fruit flies had a field day. But I have saved two tomplants that have yet to fruit and they should last for a few months yet. They're in a warm part of the garden and close to the house so I'll be able to keep an eye on them. The pic is of me with the dog Remy, the compost bin and some great carrots. Finally grew large carrots by planting them with lettuce and beetroot seeds....confusing the insects about what to eat first! So that is one to add to the list of plant trivia. I'm in the process of extending the chook run as I want my girls to be able to get some winter sun. The Yurt excludes the afternoon winter sun on the swing run. If your girls are cold they spend most of their time trying to keep warm instead of making eggs. If you look hard at the pic you'll see that I have a clothesline in the middle of the garden. I use this as extra shade in summer and also hang plants gone to seed to dry out. This means that under the line I have now got a million seedlings which I've just transplanted, given away, or fed to the girls.
What I'm doing in the garden now: I'm now planting out mizuna, lettuce, brocs, cabs, carrots, beets, garlic and rocket.
What I'm harvesting still: tomatoes, basil, rocket, mizuna, carrots, lettuce, squash and corn. My pumkins came in late so waiting patiently for them. They're a jap butternut x and are quite pretty as well as tastey.
Jobs still to do: tell people I love I appreciate them, pick the basil and make pesto, pickle the squash (which I promise never to grow again!) mulch the newly cleaned up vege beds. Process the seeds from the dryed plants and save.
Kathleen's pesto - couple handfuls of basil, 1/2cup of almonds, 2 cloves garlic, 1lemon, olive oil and parmesan cheese to taste. Blend and add a lttle water if needed to help in the processing. Do the nuts first to make it easier. The mix may be a bit sloppy at first but will thicken over time with the nuts absorbing the excess liquid. Cashews or maccas work just as well. Serve with rice or pasta, great on toast with tomatoes.

1 comment:

Rowena said...

Pesto was sensational, thanks Kathleen